Davis Racing Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Davis Racing Dragons

We are a dragon boat team at UC Davis.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!

Go down 
+6
HYe
GstarRawr
Anna
Lisa
brtam
salcha
10 posters
AuthorMessage
salcha

salcha

Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! Empty
PostSubject: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi guys,

Please entertain all ideas here for how to spend DRD money- anything goes, as long as it is do-able!

Go Smile
Back to top Go down
http://teamdrd.org
brtam

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 12:26 am

PARKAS!!
Back to top Go down
Lisa

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 2:42 am

Didn't show up to meeting like you said you would!!
Back to top Go down
brtam

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 3:57 am

i was gonna go just to suggest parkas, but you guys talked about it before already Razz
Back to top Go down
Anna

Anna

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 5:51 am

I mentioned this before, but I'd like to have a mini first-aid kit to carry on the boat and a full first-aid kit off the boat. Accidents can and do happen all the time and I don't think we should be relying on our teammates' personal supplies for the team's medical support. Include ice packs (someone's shoulder or back always hurts during practice) and bottled water (backup if someone gets dehydrated).

Create + design a nice DRD flag! Same goes for those wooden billboard things we always see out on the quad, just to advertise.

Rope or something to hang paddles and PFDs on race day. Thaddeus has been kind enough to lend us his for the past few races and it helped keep our space clean!

Walkie talkies for race day. For races such as Long Beach or TI, our tent is always approximately 539208490 miles from the marshaling area so we're always running to make up time. They skipped a heat or ran the program ahead of time so we have to marshal NOW? Someone's missing from the marshaling area and we need to find him/her? People are looking for DRD's coaches or board? Problems like these come up every race and usually we'd have someone run around trying to find people or bring news, but sometimes it's just not efficient considering how urgent some of these problems are. Walkie-talkies are a much better means of communication on race day; not only that, but they can also be used to communicate between boats during practice!
Back to top Go down
salcha

salcha

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 2:57 pm

We have our own rope, bought it awhile ago and we carry it around, but Thaddeus always like to hang up his own too haha.

Thanks for the suggestions Anna. We'll take these into serious consideration!
Back to top Go down
GstarRawr

GstarRawr

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 3:11 am

brtam wrote:
PARKAS!!

second.
Back to top Go down
HYe

HYe

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 pm

BETTER RACE DAY FOOD!! I'm sick of bagels, make-your-own-sandwiches, and trail mix bars Sad Maybe more [seasonal] fruit?
Back to top Go down
salcha

salcha

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 9:04 pm

^ I agree!!! My previous team fed me well on race days so I could definitely vouch for better race day food Smile
Back to top Go down
HYe

HYe

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 4:12 pm

salcha wrote:
^ I agree!!! My previous team fed me well on race days so I could definitely vouch for better race day food Smile

what did your team feed you?
Back to top Go down
CQ

CQ

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Stuff that made them lose. Lawls
Back to top Go down
Anna

Anna

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 9:15 pm

CQ wrote:
Even if that was a joke, that was a bit uncalled for.

I agree that we need better food! First we had only ham and bread, now at least we have condiments and some other stuff. But in the end, they're still sandwiches!

I know a lot of people like porridge (especially when it's freezing in the morning), so I was planning on making a huge batch but I only have one rice cooker. Anyone wanna bring theirs from home and we'll make more?
Back to top Go down
salcha

salcha

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Horus- breakfast we had bagels, muffins, toast, pb&j, cream cheese, cheese & meats for your bagel, porridge with all the toppings, fresh fruit platters, hard boiled eggs, coffee, oj, ...and the list goes on

Lunch sometimes we sometimes ordered individual meals like a bento ahead of time and it varied depending on what people wanted. Other times we had catered chinese food and had it buffet style like we did at LB.

And during the day we're refreshed with tons of snacks- chex mix, crackers with cheese/ham, spam musubi, lots of fruit. It varied race to race but there was always tons of leftovers. Keep it mind we also had a 'team mom' who handmade everything and took care of setting up/keeping flies away from our food or cleaning up our mess.

Some of you might think that this 'fatty food' like cream cheese will make you perform badly on race day- but that's definitely not the case...what you eat the last 3 weeks leading up to race will matter not 3 hours beforehand :/
Back to top Go down
CQ

CQ

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 4:14 pm

Anna wrote:
CQ wrote:

So you're implying there's truth behind my statement?

My statement was perfectly correct both in the joking manner I said it and in the reality where fatty/greasy foods will lower your performance on race day.

In a perfect world we would be eating pb&js and Gatorade shots. We try to compromise food to the point where it is slightly unhealthy, but won't affect your racing that much.

We'll have better food next race. Don't expect it to help you win. Expect it to weigh you down.
Back to top Go down
salcha

salcha

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Well I didn't think it was more so unhealthy or more greasy food (I mean, they were fed porridge and different kinds of breads and lots of different kinds of fruit) but more so variation of food and lots of it. It's up to the team what they wanted to eat to stay healthy and even the amount that they eat so they weren't weighing down the boat on race day. 'Better foods' can just mean different kinds of foods but we can definitely still be healthy with different choices and I'm sure the board will make sure of it Smile
Back to top Go down
Anna

Anna

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 8:57 pm

CQ wrote:
Anna wrote:
CQ wrote:

My statement was perfectly correct both in the joking manner I said it and in the reality where fatty/greasy foods will lower your performance on race day.

In a perfect world we would be eating pb&js and Gatorade shots. We try to compromise food to the point where it is slightly unhealthy, but won't affect your racing that much.

We'll have better food next race. Don't expect it to help you win. Expect it to weigh you down.
You could have said "stuff that was unhealthy" rather than "stuff that made them lose". They are still a fellow dragonboat team, one that many of our own members have roots in, so I don't think it's appropriate for anyone, much less the main representative of our team, to say that about them. You are fully entitled to your own opinion, but calling another team "loser" is stepping over a line. I don't care whether there is truth or not in your statement because that is your opinion, as long as you don't insult anyone. Which, it seems like, you have.

Personally, I don't think we should limit race day food. It's not like we're animals that just eat everything on the table just because it's out. If there's food that some people don't think will be good for them on race day, they won't eat it. Others who aren't so selective will just eat whatever the hell they want, just like they've probably been doing all this time. You remember some people on DRD eating vendor food in between races at LB and TI? That's certainly not healthy, but they do it anyway. You cannot and should not try to control what other people eat; you can only control what YOU eat.

The last-minute health obsession isn't going to change much compared to the three weeks leading up to the race; if you ate In-n-Out every day until the day before race day, you're still going to feel like shit on race day no matter how many PB&J's and Gatorade shots you have that day.

Well, good to hear about the food! Thanks, board!
Back to top Go down
HYe

HYe

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 4:00 am

CQ wrote:
Anna wrote:
CQ wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can find better food that won't, as you put it, "weigh you down."

to list a few:
- dried/ raw fruit
- [mixed] nuts
- raw vegetables with or without dip
- hard-boiled eggs

Besides, it's not like a diet of exclusively bagels, muffins, and pb&j isn't already weighing us down to start with. I'm no dietitian or nutritionist, but I doubt our bodies can effectively use all the carbohydrates we consume from those foods. Courtney, you've taken NUT10, yeah? I'm sure you, and everyone else who's taken that class, should know what we should and should not be eating so that we can perform our best each time we get on the water; however, if the board wants to keep providing us with what we've been eating, then by all means go for it.
Back to top Go down
sparckydog

sparckydog

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 1:57 am

For food. We should get really good sandwiches.
Back to top Go down
CQ

CQ

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Yo, I already said, "We'll have better food next race."

Why you guys pressing the issue when it's already been resolved?
Back to top Go down
a.su

a.su

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 1:31 am

I say we should look into getting a DB erg for our dryland training.
http://www.doublefifth.com/item_description.php?IID=217
Back to top Go down
http://admiralalex.tumblr.com
HYe

HYe

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 4:10 am

a.su wrote:
I say we should look into getting a DB erg for our dryland training.
http://www.doublefifth.com/item_description.php?IID=217

where would we put it? who would keep it?
Back to top Go down
donnysaur

donnysaur

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 1:29 am

Speakers, since it came up on facebook.

They're portable so I don't think it'd be hard to carry it around with the rest of DRD stuff.
Back to top Go down
a.su

a.su

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 11:32 am

HYe wrote:

where would we put it? who would keep it?

i merely said look into it, bro. the rest is for others to decide
Back to top Go down
http://admiralalex.tumblr.com
sparckydog

sparckydog

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 3:39 pm

donnysaur wrote:
Speakers, since it came up on facebook.

They're portable so I don't think it'd be hard to carry it around with the rest of DRD stuff.

I said this at open BM and was shot down. Sad
Back to top Go down
brtam

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyWed May 16, 2012 3:37 am

WALKIE TALKIES!
Back to top Go down
HYe

HYe

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyWed May 16, 2012 10:08 pm

brtam wrote:
WALKIE TALKIES!

i advocate this idea as well
Back to top Go down
sparckydog

sparckydog

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Walkie talkies would be cool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!   Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Ideas for our leftover FUNDRAISER MONEY!!
Page 1 of 1